I love that a lot of my craft supplies double as home decor. When we first bought our home and moved in, we had nothing. Not one stick of furniture. We came from a 750-square-foot apartment that only housed our business furniture—shelves, computer desks, tech equipment, and such.
We lived 11 years without couches, dining room furniture, comfy chairs, or much in the way of decorations because it was a rental. But that changed when we moved into a home twice the size. Suddenly, I had a living room and dining room with an open floor plan, a full U-shaped kitchen, two bathrooms, a bedroom, and, of course, my craft space. Hubby has his office as well.
The first piece of furniture we bought was a thrifted dining room table. After that came the couch and matching oversized recliner. We've added more furniture since then, like a hutch, TV and stand, more shelving, curtains, and such.
I would say 80% of our decor is thrifted because I love styling our home with old, vintage decorations that tell a story. But I was also surprised by something else. Because my craft space is half the size it once was, I had all these crafty decor pieces I had made and no space to showcase them.
So, if anyone visits my home, they will be welcomed by many things I've made, such as wooden risers, crochet mats, scrappy mats and coasters I sewed, pillows and throws, and wooden trays. It feels so good to look around and see my own creations decorating our home.
I've even used apothecary jars to showcase my yarn, with pretty chiffon ribbon tied around the jars for extra cuteness. They sit on my display case upstairs.
It makes sense that some of the things surrounding me while I'm crafting would also become part of the look and feeling of my home. I especially love creating a craft space that feels cozy instead of purely functional. I want to be able to walk in and feel inspired. I want to see colors I love. I want to have handmade things around me.
And I want the space to feel like it belongs to me and Hubby. That's one reason I chose the colors for my current crochet blanket based partly on the chair in my craft space. I wasn't just choosing yarn colors. I was thinking about how the finished blanket would fit into the space. And when I'm not wrapped up in it, it blends with the pattern of my craft chair.
That's the fun part for me. Crafting and decorating don't always have to be separate. Sometimes the things we make become part of our homes, and the supplies we use become part of the visual personality of our creative spaces.
Here's some pics of my recent makes for my home!
Happy crafting, sweet friends! ❤️

0 comments
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!