I Wonder If…

I Wonder If...by BellaArt Creates
Project and original photo by BellaArt Creates; image enhanced with AI using ChatGPT.


Some projects begin with a pattern. Some begin with a tutorial. Some begin because I need a particular item. And then there are those projects that begin with three little words:

“I wonder if…”

Those words can be dangerous in a craft space. LOL! "I wonder if this fabric would work for that." "I wonder if I could make this smaller." "I wonder if those colors would look good together." "I wonder if I could use this die for something completely different." "I wonder if I could add a pocket." "I wonder if I could crochet a version of that." "I wonder if this supply would work even though it wasn’t made for this particular purpose."

Before I know it, I’ve pulled out supplies and started experimenting. I think those projects are some of the most fun because I don’t always know exactly where I’m going when I begin. There may be an idea, but there isn’t necessarily a complete plan. I’m testing a possibility, and that gives me permission to play instead of worrying about whether I’m doing everything the “right” way.

And that brings me to today’s story.

I have another blog post where I shared a YouTube tutorial from Fat Quarter Shop for making a simple beginner zipper pouch. It’s a short video, and you can watch it on that post here or directly on YouTube here. After making several zipper pouches using the tutorial, I got to thinking, “I wonder if I could use what I learned from this pattern to make a large project bag?”

Then came another question. "Can I position the zipper about ¾ inch from the top, similar to the project bags many cross stitchers use to hold their patterns and supplies?" Note: I’m not a cross stitcher. I just wanted to make a project bag! LOL! 😂

I had some adorable kitty-cat fabric that my wonderful artist friend Kimberly McGuiness of Kimberly McGuiness Art and Design had gifted me. I love kitties, and I had quite a bit of the fabric—enough that I could have made a whole set of project bags if I wanted to. So I decided to try it.

Now, I’m still a newbie when it comes to sewing, and I made a few mistakes along the way with this project bag. 

  • First, I didn’t sew the lining in quite correctly, so the inside looks a little wonky. I chose a solid red fabric for the lining because there are touches of red throughout the kitty print, and I thought the two would look good together.
  • Second—and this was the mistake that bothered me the most—I didn’t pay close enough attention to the fact that I was working with directional fabric. My poor kitties are turned the wrong way! UGGGhhh…
  • Third, I quilted the fabric first before assembly. My stitches are straight, but the rows aren’t measured perfectly evenly. Fortunately, I don’t think it’s very noticeable because white is the dominant color in the fabric and I used white thread for the quilting; and finally,
  • The finished bag is wider horizontally than I intended. I had envisioned more of a vertical project bag, which means I didn’t cut my fabric large enough in the right direction when I started.

Nevertheless, I kept going, and you know what? I love the bag! It’s functional, my zipper ended up exactly where I wanted it, and I even embellished it with a cute glittery cat key chain.

But then I made one more mistake—and this one had nothing to do with sewing.

I never shared it.

I finished the bag, hung it on my craft cart, and barely looked at it again until I started putting this article together. Why didn’t I share it? Honestly, I was embarrassed. I thought everyone would immediately notice my biggest blunder: those poor kitties going the wrong direction. This is one of those fears about sharing my work that I still struggle with from time to time.

But today I’m sharing it anyway.

Because when I look at the bag now, I don’t just see the mistakes. I see what I learned. I learned to pay closer attention to directional fabric. I learned that I need to think through my measurements before cutting when I’m changing the size and shape of an existing pattern. 

I learned a little more about quilting and lining a bag. And most importantly, I learned that making mistakes while trying something new doesn’t mean the finished project needs to be hidden away.

Those lessons will make me more thoughtful during the preparation stages of future projects, but they won’t stop me from experimenting. I’ll ask myself again: “I wonder if…”

Experimenting has taught me a lot about my own creativity. I tend to see supplies as possibilities rather than strict instructions. Something may have been sold for one purpose, but that doesn’t mean my brain won’t immediately think of three other ways I could use it. That’s especially true after years of working across paper, fabric, fiber, and felt. Ideas have a way of jumping from one craft to another.

The nice thing about an “I wonder if…” project is that success doesn’t have to mean the idea worked perfectly. Sometimes the answer to my question is simply, “Nope! That does not work.” And believe it or not, that’s still useful information. I learned something without needing the experiment to become a finished masterpiece.

Other times, one little experiment turns into a project I genuinely love. That’s the exciting part. I can start with no expectations and end up surprising myself.

I think sometimes we forget how valuable that kind of play can be. We become so focused on results that we want to know exactly what we’re making before we begin. We want the supply list, the measurements, the finished photo, and reassurance that the time we’re about to spend will produce something worth keeping.

But creativity doesn’t always work that way.

Sometimes I need to touch the supplies, move things around, try a stitch, cut a scrap, put two colors together, change my mind, walk away, come back, and ask another question. That’s not wasted time. That’s part of creating.

And because I don’t depend on every project to become content, inventory, or something I have to sell, I can let curiosity lead once in a while. 

BellaArt Creates has given me a place to celebrate that kind of creative life. I can make because I’m curious or because something caught my attention. I can make because I simply want to know what happens next. And now I can even share the projects that didn’t turn out exactly how I imagined.

So when those three little words pop into my head, I won’t dismiss them too quickly:

I wonder if…

Maybe it will work. Maybe it won’t. Maybe I’ll change the idea five times before I’m finished. But every now and then, that tiny question becomes one of my favorite projects, and I never would have discovered it if I hadn’t been willing to experiment, make a few mistakes, and try.

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑