![]() |
| Projects and original photos by BellaArt Creates; collage enhanced with AI using ChatGPT. |
I've been crafting since I was about 12 years old, but I didn't start crafting seriously until I was in my late 50s. Still, I have a decent number of supplies and techniques under my belt. You would think I've had enough time to settle into the crafts I already know and stay there.
Apparently, my curiosity didn't get that memo! 😀 I still love trying things I haven't tried before. Crochet is my first love, and over the years I've added sewing, cardmaking, paper crafting, knitting, felt stitching, and other creative adventures to the mix. I even dabbled in jewelry making, creating earrings out of faux leather. I don't think learning one craft means I have to choose only one. I guess I just want to do it all! For me, every new craft opens another little door.
Part of the reason is simple: I love learning. I'm a visual learner, so seeing someone demonstrate a technique can immediately make me wonder whether I could do it too. I can watch someone's hands move through a process and start imagining what supplies I already have, what I might change, and what kind of project I could make.
Trying something new also brings back that beginner feeling, and I actually think that's good for me. When I've done something for years, it's easy to forget how much practice went into making it feel familiar. A new craft reminds me that nobody begins as an expert. My first attempt doesn't have to look like the work of someone who has been doing it for 20 years.
That can be humbling, but it's also freeing. I get to ask basic questions and make awkward first attempts. I get to discover which tools make sense to me and which ones don't. And I get to decide whether this new craft is something I want to keep exploring or whether one experiment was enough.
That was the case with my earrings collection. I made a bunch of them, and I loved the process, but I began to change. When I knew that season was over, I wasn't disappointed. I felt good that I had learned a new craft and enjoyed it for that time. Below are just a few pictures from several of my collections.
And that's another thing I've learned: trying a craft does not mean I have to adopt it permanently. I don't need a lifetime commitment from every creative idea that catches my attention. Sometimes I just want to know what it's like to learn a new technique that may become useful somewhere else.
And that's another thing I've learned: trying a craft does not mean I have to adopt it permanently. I don't need a lifetime commitment from every creative idea that catches my attention. Sometimes I just want to know what it's like to learn a new technique that may become useful somewhere else.
Sometimes I discover a new favorite, and other times I say, "That's cute!" and happily return to my yarn, fabric, felt, or paper. I've learned that I can enjoy another crafter's ideas and offer encouragement and support for their projects without needing to make everything I see.
The skills also have a funny way of crossing over. Color choices I learned through cardmaking can influence the fabric I put together for a sewing project. Sewing can make me think differently about construction. Crochet and knitting make me notice different textures. Paper crafting taught me how much tiny details can change a finished piece.
Nothing has to stay inside its own little creative box. I think that's why I don't believe a longtime crafter ever really finishes learning. There's always another stitch, another material, another tool, another technique, or simply another way to approach something we already know.
Of course, I don't run out and buy an entire craft store every time something new catches my eye, but I've been guilty at times! I've learned enough about myself to know that curiosity and shopping can become very good friends if I'm not careful! 😀 LOL! I can start small, use what I have when possible, and see whether I actually enjoy the process before turning it into a whole new section of my craft space.
The other thing I've learned about opening the door to yet another hobby is that the supplies need somewhere to live. In a small craft space, I have to be intentional. If a hobby I'm interested in requires extra storage space I simply don't have, I have to take that into consideration too.
But I hope I never lose the desire to try. Creativity has been part of my life for too long to become a closed door. I want to keep opening it, peeking around the corner, and seeing what else might be waiting there.
After all, I was once a beginner at every craft I now love.
The skills also have a funny way of crossing over. Color choices I learned through cardmaking can influence the fabric I put together for a sewing project. Sewing can make me think differently about construction. Crochet and knitting make me notice different textures. Paper crafting taught me how much tiny details can change a finished piece.
Nothing has to stay inside its own little creative box. I think that's why I don't believe a longtime crafter ever really finishes learning. There's always another stitch, another material, another tool, another technique, or simply another way to approach something we already know.
Of course, I don't run out and buy an entire craft store every time something new catches my eye, but I've been guilty at times! I've learned enough about myself to know that curiosity and shopping can become very good friends if I'm not careful! 😀 LOL! I can start small, use what I have when possible, and see whether I actually enjoy the process before turning it into a whole new section of my craft space.
The other thing I've learned about opening the door to yet another hobby is that the supplies need somewhere to live. In a small craft space, I have to be intentional. If a hobby I'm interested in requires extra storage space I simply don't have, I have to take that into consideration too.
But I hope I never lose the desire to try. Creativity has been part of my life for too long to become a closed door. I want to keep opening it, peeking around the corner, and seeing what else might be waiting there.
After all, I was once a beginner at every craft I now love.


0 comments
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!