If you're a fellow crafter like me, then this post will definitely resonate with you because today I'm talking about the crafty tools in my stash that I simply cannot live without!
Because I enjoy several crafts—cardmaking and paper crafting, sewing, crochet and knitting, and felt and hand stitching—I thought it would be best to put my list of tools into their appropriate categories for easy reading.
So, here we go!
Cardmaking and Paper Crafting
- Reverse tweezers. I am constantly reaching for my reverse tweezers when I'm working on paper crafts. They're great for picking up those tiny little bits and pieces, and I also use them as a third hand when I need to hold something in place while the glue dries.
Sometimes a crafter just needs an extra hand, right? 😂 - Pokey tool. A pokey tool is another one of those little tools I reach for all the time. Of course, it has that nice sharp point, which makes it handy for all kinds of little jobs. I also use mine when working with tape and Velcro backing and for picking up little gems and enamel dots.
It's one of those simple tools that ends up being useful for more things than you originally thought it would be. - Best ever craft tape by Spellbinders. I really love this tape! I use it to hold dies in place when I'm die cutting, and it's also handy for temporarily holding pieces together while I'm working on a project.
What I especially like is that it's repositionable and doesn't pull up my paper when I remove it. It also comes in different widths, which makes it even more useful. - Mighty Misty Spray Bottle by Spellbinders. Okay, technically this is a spray bottle, but I love it! I use it when I need to spritz water, and it has also come in handy for sewing and cleanup.
And let's be honest...this bottle is so elegantly designed and looks so pretty sitting on my craft shelf too. 😂 - Bearly Art Glue. This is my go-to glue for all paper crafting. There's lots of different adhesives out there, but this is the one I find myself reaching for again and again when I'm making cards or working on paper projects.
- Teflon bone folder. I don't make as many handmade card bases as I used to, but I still consider my Teflon bone folder an essential tool in my craft space.
It's one of those tools that doesn't get used every time I craft, but when I need it, I'm glad it's within arm's reach!
Crochet
- Crochet hook. Well, obviously I need crochet hooks! My everyday favorites are my I 5.5mm and J 6.0mm hooks. I do have a K hook too, but I find myself reaching for the I and J most often. I tend to make blankets and scarves, so I really love working with larger hooks.
- Tapestry needle. A tapestry needle is a must-have for weaving in all those yarn ends. I especially like the ones with a bent point because they make the job easier for me.
- Stitch markers. Stitch markers are another must-have. They're so helpful when I need to mark my place in a project and make sure I know exactly where I left off.
- Yarn basket. I love having a little yarn basket sitting beside me when I'm crocheting. It's just the right size to hold the skein or ball of yarn I'm currently working with while I'm sitting at my table.
Knitting
- Circular needles. I don't do as much knitting as I used to, partly because of my shoulder injury, but when I do knit, I really like circular needles. I like that they help keep the project together and they're especially nice when I'm working on something like a scarf.
- Stitch markers. Stitch markers are essential for me when knitting, especially when I'm working in the round. I particularly like the little white plastic ones.
- Yarn basket. Yep...the same yarn basket makes the knitting list too! When I'm working with yarn, I like having a little basket beside me to keep everything contained and within easy reach.
- Yarn swift winding tool. If you've ever worked with yarn that comes in a hank, you know how helpful a yarn swift can be! I had one of these and found it absolutely vital for winding hanks of yarn into a cake.
I found the umbrella-style swift works better and doesn't get tangled up like the smaller portable types I've used.
Sewing
- Wonder clips. When I first started sewing, I pinned everything. After getting poked so many times, I figured there had to be a better way.
That's when I learned about wonder clips, and I use them about 99% of the time on my sewing. I have both regular and large clips. I do use pins but only when absolutely necessary! - Fabric scissors. A good pair of fabric scissors is an absolute must-have. I have a wonderful pair of Mr. Pen fabric scissors, and I won't let anyone touch them! Seriously. These are MY fabric scissors!
- Disappearing ink marker pen. This is such a handy little tool for marking fabric, especially when I'm quilting. I chose this type of pen because I like that the markings disappear in just a few minutes.
- Chopsticks. I use chopsticks to help poke out the corners when I'm turning a project right side out. They're especially useful when I'm trying to get those nice, sharp corners on things like pillows, hot pads, and bags.
- Rotary cutters. Rotary cutters are an absolute must-have in the sewing room! I use them all the time when cutting fabric and I can't imagine sewing without them.
- Rulers. No one ruler does it all, so I have several kinds in my craft space, in different sizes and shapes. I especially like my square rulers for sewing patchwork projects.
Felt and Hand Stitching
- 100% Merino Wool felt by Spellbinders. I've worked with several different types of felt over the years, but 100% Merino Felt from Spellbinders is my favorite. I've used it for stitching projects, including Christmas ornaments made with stitching dies.
I really like working with good-quality 100% wool felt because it doesn't fray easily like some of the lighter-weight felts can. - Long sharp needles. When I'm working on larger felt or hand-stitching projects, I need long, sharp needles.
They're especially helpful because they can easily go through multiple layers of fabric, felt, poly-fil, or batting. I've used them for making large pillows, pumpkins, and even pincushions.
And there you have it!
There's definitely other tools and items in my craft space that I love and use, but these are the ones I know I cannot live without. They are tools I reach for time and time again!
So, what tools do you use all the time and simply can't be without?
I'd love to know about them, so feel free to leave a comment!
Thanks for reading!

0 comments
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!