When a Craft Supply Gives Me an Idea
| Image created with AI using ChatGPT. |
Sometimes I have a project idea and then go looking for the supplies to make it. Other times, the whole process happens backwards. A craft supply gives me the idea.
It might be a piece of fabric I keep noticing every time I open my drawer. A skein of yarn with colors that make me want to wrap myself in it. A die set I haven't used in ages, a pretty piece of patterned paper, a button, ribbon, embellishment, stamp, or little package of something I bought because I loved it even though I didn't have a clue what I was going to do with it.
Then one day I look at it and suddenly I know. That's one of the reasons I enjoy shopping my own craft stash. I don't always need something new to get a new idea. Sometimes I need to see an old supply with fresh eyes.
I think supplies can carry their own little personalities. A soft yarn may immediately make me think cozy. A bright fabric feels playful. A beautiful floral paper may make me want to create something elegant. Felt makes me think about hand stitching and tiny details. The material itself starts suggesting what it wants to become, like these little owl ornaments I made. Each one is a different color of felt, staring back at me with those cute little eyes!
Now, I know the supply isn't actually talking to me. If my fabric starts giving verbal instructions, we may have a different problem! 😀 LOL! But visually and creatively, materials absolutely can spark ideas.
Color is a big part of that for me. I can see two things beside each other and suddenly a project begins forming in my head. That's also why I like mixing products rather than feeling that everything has to come from one collection or one company. If the colors, textures, or style work together, my brain doesn't care whose name is on the packaging.
Sometimes that spark is immediate. Other supplies have to wait. And wait. And wait some more. I used to feel a little guilty about that. Why did I buy something if I wasn't going to use it right away? But I've learned that not every supply needs an immediate assignment. Sometimes I'll pull out an item intending to use it for a project, but suddenly my mind goes in another direction and I don't use that supply after all. Or I get another idea for a completely different project that the supply would be perfect for. This is what goes on in my creator's mind!
Of course, I try to be more thoughtful about what I bring into my craft space now, especially because I have downsized and I'm mindful of my budget. Still, something I already own can sit quietly for a while before the right idea arrives. And if you're interested in what I'm downsizing, you can visit my shop page here.
That's part of what makes rediscovering supplies so much fun. I may have forgotten about something completely, and the minute I see it again, my imagination wakes up. Suddenly I'm pairing it with something else in my stash, pulling out tools, or thinking about a project I hadn't considered five minutes earlier.
It also reminds me that inspiration doesn't always have to come from outside my home. I don't have to constantly scroll, shop, or chase the newest release to find something worth making. Sometimes the inspiration is already sitting in my drawer or on a shelf. I've even been watching a YouTube video and seen a creator use the same item I already have in a way I hadn't thought of before. Suddenly, I have inspiration to make something!
That doesn't mean I never enjoy new supplies. Oh please. I am still a crafter! LOL! New supplies are exciting. But I don't want to overlook the creative possibilities in the things I already chose because they spoke to me once before. Even old-but-good supplies that are no longer in production can still have plenty of uses and many different ways to be enjoyed.
So every now and then, I like to look through my stash without a project in mind. Not to organize it. Not to decide what I should get rid of. Not even necessarily to make something that day. I just look, because sometimes one little supply is all it takes to start a whole new idea.

0 comments
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!