My Crafty Goals for 2026


My Crafty Goals for 2026

I started out the year really wanting to be more intentional about what I wanted to make. In previous years, I'd simply pick up a crochet hook, some cardstock, a stamp, or a die set and start creating!

The problem? I collected so much stuff and was just storing it away. Why was I doing that? I love giving handmade gifts, but I was making so much, so quickly, that I had to find storage boxes to house everything. 😂

This year, I wanted to slow down, focus more, and actually improve some of my crafty skills—sewing, for example. How many 1/4-inch seam guides did I go through trying to learn how to sew straight on my machine?

You don't wanna know! 😂

So I thought I'd share where I started the year and give you an update on where I am now. Let's get to it!

🧶 Learn More Crochet Stitches

I crocheted a granny square blanket a few months ago using a pattern I found on YouTube. I made somewhere between 30 and 40 squares altogether and then crocheted a scalloped edging around the blanket using Premier Yarns I purchased at my local Dollar Tree.

Now I'm working on another blanket using a crochet stitch I've never tried before, changing colors every few rows. It's turning out beautifully, and I'm hoping to make it twin-bed size!

I'm still able to crochet a few rows every day without pain, so that's a little miracle I'm very thankful for. ❤️

🧵 Learn More Sewing

I definitely upped my sewing game this year!

I've made bowl cozies that we use every day in the microwave, an exceptionally long infinity scarf from fabric gifted to me by one of my sweet neighbors, and I've learned how to do some mending.

We purchased a set of kitchen skirts—curtains that cover appliances and areas such as underneath a sink or over an oven. I wanted to use one to cover our stainless-steel dishwasher that we never use, but the curtains were too long. So I learned how to hem them shorter, and they came out perfectly!

Our front window curtain handle also caught a snag and started coming loose. I was able to repair it in literally five minutes!

And my handmade hot pads are getting plenty of use in the kitchen. They're so handy when I'm working with hot pots and pans.

🪡 Explore Knitting

This is one goal I can't work on right now. I still experience too much shoulder discomfort, so for now, knitting has been placed on the back burner.

I do hope to finish my sample piece at some point, though, because the yarn I was working with is so soft and pretty. It's patiently waiting for me. 🥰

🎨 Continue Paper Crafting & Cardmaking

I don't do nearly as much cardmaking as I once did because, well... I've already made thousands of cards! 😂

But I did make some Christmas-in-July cards and tags this year. I also organized the stash of cards I decided to keep and donated many others.

They're now organized by category in our "Home Shop," the walk-in closet we've converted into a little shop and storage area. Hubby can go shopping in there whenever he needs a card for a friend or family member.

And I make wax seals for the envelopes, too, so we have lots of different colors to choose from.

I love going in there and rummaging through my cards. It's like having my own little handmade card shop!

🧸 Try More Felt & Soft Crafts

Felt stitching is more of a seasonal hobby for me, but I did make some fabric strawberries this year and used felt for their stems. I made so many that I shared some with one of my neighbors.

I also did some hand sewing and made tomatoes, so now my strawberries and tomatoes are the cutest little bowl fillers ever!

For fall, I'm planning to make two oversized sweater pumpkins from thrifted sweaters. I can't wait to see how those turn out!

✂️ Make Things Just Because I Enjoy Them

This one may actually be the most important goal of all.

I want to continue making things, but with a purpose—not simply to hoard them.

I've donated some of the things I've made, and I'm becoming much more intentional about what I keep. I only want to keep handmade items that I plan to give to friends for birthdays, holidays, or other special occasions—or things that we actually use in our own home.

So far, I think I've been pretty intentional.

I guess I can give myself a B+ for meeting my crafty goals this year! 😂

And honestly, I'm pretty happy with that.

What About You?

Did you make any crafty goals this year?

Maybe you wanted to learn a new skill, finish a project that's been sitting in your craft room, try a completely different craft, or simply make more time for creating.

Whatever your goals were, I hope you're giving yourself credit for the things you've accomplished—even the little things. Sometimes we're so busy looking at what we haven't finished that we forget to celebrate how far we've come.

I'd love to hear from you, too! If you're a fellow maker, tell me what you've been working on, what you're learning, or what crafty goal you're still chasing. And if you're new to crafting, you're welcome here, too! Feel free to leave a comment or ask me a question. One of the things I love most about the crafting community is how makers encourage, inspire, and cheer each other!

Keep creating, keep learning, and most of all, keep enjoying the things you make with your hands. ❤️

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑