Making Time for What's Important to Me


Making Time for What's Important to Me

Time is that thing we all struggle with, cause there's never enough of it to get things one that's needed; let alone make room for what we really want to do. Before I retired, I researched some time management tips for work and the one consistent thing I kept seeing was blocking out pockets of time. I did this for all my work projects as I always had more than one assignment to complete. At that time, blocking out time to concentrate on one thing at a time didn't translate to my personal life.

I had trouble juggling work and personal time. Work was intense and hours were long. Retirement was on the horizon and I began thinking... what is important to me? I made this list:

  • Spending quality time with The Lord in prayer and bible study.
  • Spending more time with hubby.
  • Making time for friends.
  • Crafting for fun.
  • Daily re-charging my batteries.
  • Taking better care of myself, my mental side.
It's important to list those things in your life that you feel are important and then take each point and ask yourself what can you do to make time for them? Maybe your list might consist of making time to work in your garden, catch up on reading that novel or spend more time with your grandchildren. Whatever it is, write it down and keep it in front of you. It's so true that "out of sight is out of mind". If you don't see it, you'll forget it. Life happens and pretty soon we put all the things we want to do on the back burner.

Making time for those things we deem important may mean rescheduling activities or cutting something out if you don't have to do it. The saying that goes "we make room for the things we want to do" isn't always the case. A lot of times we sacrifice ourselves for the needs of others around us (particularly us women). It works for awhile but if we don't take better care for ourselves, eventually we break down.

In the end, it's all up to us to make the choices we need in order to stay mentally and emotionally well. 

For further reading, I recommend this article:

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑