![]() |
| Project and original photos by BellaArt Creates; collage enhanced with AI using ChatGPT. |
Hi my friends! I hope you're having a wonderful day! Today, I'm talking about what happens when a project doesn't quite go as planned. So grab your favorite drink, get comfy, and I hope you enjoy today's story!
I wish I could tell you that every craft project I start behaves itself from beginning to end. I choose the supplies, follow the plan or pattern, make all the right decisions, and end up with exactly what I pictured—or, in this case, exactly how it turned out in the YouTube tutorial I was following.
Yeah...no. LOL!
Sometimes a project has other plans. Sometimes it's the creator—in this case...me!
A color that looked perfect beside another color suddenly looks completely wrong once I start putting everything together. Fabric shifts. A seam doesn't cooperate. A crochet stitch count somehow develops a mind of its own. A piece of paper gets cut too short. An embellishment covers something I didn't intend to cover. Or I simply reach the middle of a project and realize I don't like where it's going.
Years ago, I might have looked at that moment as proof that something had gone wrong. Now I see it differently. The project may not be following my original plan or the pattern I'm following, but that doesn't automatically mean it's ruined. It may simply mean I have another decision to make.
That's when the problem-solving part of crafting begins, and I've come to appreciate that part almost as much as the making itself. I start asking questions. Can I cover it? Can I change the shape? Can I use a different stitch? Can I trim this down? Can I add something that makes the mistake look intentional? Can I turn the project into something slightly different from what I planned?
One of my favorite examples of this happened when I made my first makeup boxy bag. I was still learning to sew and didn't have much experience putting in zippers. I was following a pattern from a YouTube tutorial when, somewhere along the way, I accidentally sewed over a section I wasn't supposed to sew. When I ripped out the stitches, I got a little too enthusiastic with my seam ripper and damaged both the fabric and the area around the zipper.
I made this boxy makeup bag by following a YouTube tutorial from Anjurisa. You can find the tutorial here.
UGH! :(
By then, I was way too far into the project to start all over. I had to make that bag work! The problem was figuring out how to cover the damage without making it look like I was, well...covering damage!
Then I remembered some white pom-pom trim I had in my stash.
I measured how much I needed, cut the trim and used fabric glue to adhere it right alongside the zipper, covering the torn area.
Problem solved!
But here's the funny part: I ended up loving those little white pom-poms. They added a touch of cuteness that I didn't even know the bag needed.
If you look at the photos above, that's the bag I'm talking about. Those pom-poms weren't part of the original pattern in the YouTube tutorial at all. They're there because something went wrong! And unless I told you the story, you'd probably never know it.
Sometimes the answer is very simple. Other times I have to put the project down for a little while and come back with fresh eyes. I've learned that staring harder at something doesn't always make the answer appear. A little distance can help me stop seeing the problem and start seeing possibilities.
Improvising also reminds me that I don't have to be loyal to the first idea just because it was the first idea. I can change my mind. That's one of the freedoms of making something for myself. There isn't a Craft Police officer standing beside my table saying, “Excuse me, ma'am, your original plan clearly called for three flowers and you used four.”
Thank goodness for that!
Some of my favorite creative decisions have happened because something didn't work the way I expected. A mistake forced me to add a detail I never would have considered. Running out of one supply made me use another. A design that looked too plain pushed me to experiment. A project that was supposed to go in one direction ended up going somewhere completely different.
Of course, not every detour produces a masterpiece. Sometimes I try a solution and decide I don't like that either. I may have to rip out stitches, frog rows of yarn, trim another piece of cardstock, or start a section again. That's okay too. Problem-solving doesn't mean I have to rescue every single decision. Sometimes the best solution is simply to back up and try another road.
What I don't want is for the fear of something going wrong to keep me from starting. Crafting would become awfully stressful if I believed every cut, stitch, color, and placement had to be perfect the first time.
A project is allowed to change while I'm making it. So am I.
That's part of the fun of working with my hands. I can respond to what's happening right in front of me instead of being trapped by what I imagined before I began.
And sometimes, after all the changing, fixing, improvising, and muttering under my breath, I look at the finished project and realize something funny.
I like it better than the original idea.
Now that's a crafty plot twist I can live with.
By then, I was way too far into the project to start all over. I had to make that bag work! The problem was figuring out how to cover the damage without making it look like I was, well...covering damage!
Then I remembered some white pom-pom trim I had in my stash.
I measured how much I needed, cut the trim and used fabric glue to adhere it right alongside the zipper, covering the torn area.
Problem solved!
But here's the funny part: I ended up loving those little white pom-poms. They added a touch of cuteness that I didn't even know the bag needed.
If you look at the photos above, that's the bag I'm talking about. Those pom-poms weren't part of the original pattern in the YouTube tutorial at all. They're there because something went wrong! And unless I told you the story, you'd probably never know it.
Sometimes the answer is very simple. Other times I have to put the project down for a little while and come back with fresh eyes. I've learned that staring harder at something doesn't always make the answer appear. A little distance can help me stop seeing the problem and start seeing possibilities.
Improvising also reminds me that I don't have to be loyal to the first idea just because it was the first idea. I can change my mind. That's one of the freedoms of making something for myself. There isn't a Craft Police officer standing beside my table saying, “Excuse me, ma'am, your original plan clearly called for three flowers and you used four.”
Thank goodness for that!
Some of my favorite creative decisions have happened because something didn't work the way I expected. A mistake forced me to add a detail I never would have considered. Running out of one supply made me use another. A design that looked too plain pushed me to experiment. A project that was supposed to go in one direction ended up going somewhere completely different.
Of course, not every detour produces a masterpiece. Sometimes I try a solution and decide I don't like that either. I may have to rip out stitches, frog rows of yarn, trim another piece of cardstock, or start a section again. That's okay too. Problem-solving doesn't mean I have to rescue every single decision. Sometimes the best solution is simply to back up and try another road.
What I don't want is for the fear of something going wrong to keep me from starting. Crafting would become awfully stressful if I believed every cut, stitch, color, and placement had to be perfect the first time.
A project is allowed to change while I'm making it. So am I.
That's part of the fun of working with my hands. I can respond to what's happening right in front of me instead of being trapped by what I imagined before I began.
And sometimes, after all the changing, fixing, improvising, and muttering under my breath, I look at the finished project and realize something funny.
I like it better than the original idea.
Now that's a crafty plot twist I can live with.


0 comments
I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!