Learning New Stitches Keeps Crochet Fun

Learning New Stitches Keeps Crochet Fun by BellaArt Creates
photo by unsplash.com

I have a confession to make. I have a go-to crochet stitch.

For years, the half double crochet has been one of my favorites and very much is now. It's not just because it's familiar, comfortable and dependable; it's also a beautiful stitch. I love crocheting it the back and front loops that mimics knit stitches. But every once in a while, I like to try something new. That's exactly what happened with the blanket I'm working on now.

The pattern uses single and double crochet stitches to create a beautiful scalloped detail, and I absolutely love how the texture is turning out. Learning a new stitch can change the entire look of a project. The yarn may be the same, but suddenly the fabric has a different texture, movement and personality.

And that's one of the things I enjoy most about crochet. There always seems to be something new to learn. I usually learn stitches by watching YouTube videos. I'm a visual learner, so being able to watch someone demonstrate a stitch is much easier for me than trying to figure everything out from written instructions.

Sometimes I'll watch a stitch and think, “Oh, that's pretty!” Then I try it. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I have to watch the video again. Some stitch patterns, I know offhand I will love looking at it rather than trying it!

That's part of learning too. I don't think every new stitch has to become my favorite. Sometimes simply trying something different is enough. And when I do find a stitch I love, it makes me want to start another project. That's what keeps crafting fun for me. There is always something else to learn.

I also know my boundaries and how far I can go when it comes to my hand stamina. Because I injured my shoulder years ago, it affected the strength in my hand and wrist. I use a foam grip on my crochet hooks, which helps me crochet without pain, but my hand strength isn't what it once was. I have to stop frequently and give my hand a chance to rest. Sometimes that means taking a couple of days off before I can pick up my hooks again.

So even though I still love my trusty half double crochet, I'm glad I occasionally wander away from my old favorite. You never know what beautiful little surprise you'll discover.

What’s your crochet “go-to” stitch? Do you like to challenge yourself to learn new stitch patterns? I’d love to know! Leave me a comment and Happy crafting!

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑