Why I Love Making Things That Are Actually Useful

Why I Love Making Things That Are Actually Useful by BellaArt Creates
Projects and original photos by BellaArt Creates; collage enhanced with AI using ChatGPT.

 
I love making pretty things. I always have. Give me paper, fabric, yarn, felt, a few embellishments, and some time to play, and I'm a happy crafter. But there's something extra satisfying about making something that doesn't just look pretty when I'm finished. I love making things I can actually use.

That doesn't mean every project has to solve a problem or earn its keep. Sometimes I make something simply because I want to, and I think that's reason enough. Creativity doesn't always need an assignment. Still, when something I've made becomes part of everyday life, it gives me a different kind of joy. I get to enjoy the project long after the making is finished.

That's one reason sewing appeals to me so much. A piece of fabric can become a bag, a pouch, something for my home, or something I can wear. And those photos above are all my own makes: cord keepers to hold all those pesky cables and cords together, hot pads for my pots and pans after they come off the stove, a placemat for the dining room table, and bowl cozies that we use every day in and out of our microwave.

Also, yarn can become a blanket that keeps me warm, a wrap I can throw over my shoulders, or a hat that actually gets worn. Even paper crafting can be useful, a handmade card carries a message to someone in a way a quick text just can't duplicate.

I think usefulness also changes the way I make decisions while I'm crafting. If I'm making something that will be used, I start thinking beyond how it looks. Will it hold up? Is the fabric right for the project? Is the yarn comfortable? Does the size make sense? Will the person using it be able to wash it? Suddenly I'm not just choosing what looks cute. I'm thinking about how the finished project is going to live in the real world.

And I like that challenge. Sometimes the prettiest choice isn't the most practical one, so I have to find a way to make the two meet somewhere in the middle. I still want the project to feel like me. I still want the colors, texture, stitching, paper, or little details that made me excited to start it in the first place. I just also want it to work.

There is something wonderful about seeing a handmade item become part of someone's ordinary day. I love hearing that someone put one of my cards on a desk so they could keep looking at it. I love the thought of a blanket being pulled out when the house gets chilly or a handmade bag being grabbed on the way out the door. At that point, the project isn't just something I made. It has become part of somebody's life.

Useful projects also make me appreciate handmade things differently. When I look at something in a store, I see the finished object. When I make it myself, I know every decision hiding inside it. I know why I chose that fabric, why I changed the stitch, why I ripped out a seam, why I added another row, or why I decided the first idea wasn't going to work. The finished project carries all those little decisions with it.

Of course, I'm still going to make things simply because they're pretty. I'm a crafter! Sometimes the entire purpose of a project is to make me smile while I'm creating it. But if I can make something beautiful and useful at the same time? Oh yes, that's my kind of project.

Maybe that's why I enjoy so many different crafts. Paper, fabric, fiber, and felt can all become something that brings beauty into everyday life. And when I can look around my home, reach for something, wear something, give something away, or send something in the mail and say, "I made that," it reminds me why I fell in love with creating in the first place.

Pretty is wonderful. Useful is wonderful. But pretty, handmade, and useful? That's a combination I will happily keep making room for in my craft space.

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑