I Don't Need a Reason to Make Something

I Don't Need a Reason to Make Something by BellaArt Creates
Image created with ChatGPT (OpenAI) for BellaArt Creates

Hey friends! For a long time, I thought there needed to be a reason for everything I made. Maybe it was a gift or to serve a purpose. Maybe I needed to have a finished project in mind before I even started.


And honestly, sometimes that's still true. But I've learned something I really like about crafting: that is I don't always need a reason. Sometimes I just want to make something. And, furthermore I don't always think about what the project will turn out to be, I just wanted to get started.

I might want to try a new stitch simply because it looks pretty. I might want to pull out some cardstock, pattern paper and some embellishments and see what I can create. I may want to play with colors or look through my fabrics to start a sewing project. Or, I might want to sit in my craft space and work on something that isn't needed by anyone and isn't attached to a deadline.

And that's okay.

In fact, I think that's one of the sweetest parts of crafting. Not every project has to be useful. Not every project has to become a gift. Not every project has to be perfect. Sometimes it's the project itself that's the reason.

I think retirement has made this especially clear to me. When I was working, so much of my time was connected to responsibilities, deadlines and things that needed to be accomplished. Now I have more room to create simply because I enjoy creating. That doesn't mean I don't finish my projects. If you know me, you know I like to finish what I start!

It simply means I don't have to justify why I picked up my hook, scissors, needle or paper. I can make something because I wanted to. And sometimes, that's reason enough.

And the feeling of making something with my hands fills my heart and mind with so much joy!

0 comments

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and thanks for stopping by!

 

↑